All lectures are available via live video (during class time) and in the video archive (typically two days after the class). If you are following the live video during class, speak up with your questions in the cs-171 Skype chat room (see syllabus for more details).
Wed, Jan 28: Introduction What is visualization? Course overview.
- Lecture slides: 01-Introduction
- Baby Name Wizard
- Many Eyes
- Hans Rosling, TED 2006
- Hans Rosling, TED 2007 (wait for the ending!)
Mon, Feb 02: Design Principles Graphical Integrity. Lie Factor. Data-Ink Ratio. Chartjunk. Context. Small Multiples. Space & Time. Layering.
- Lecture slides: 02-Design
- Super Bowl Visualization, NY Times
- Genealogy of Pop and Rock Music
- Faces of the Dead, NY Times
Wed, Feb 04: Data & Image Models (Tamara Munzner, UBC) Data Types. Image Models.
- Lecture slides: 03-Models
- Lecture slides: Data Mining (Samir Paul)
- Scraping examples
- Super Bowl Twitter visualization, NY Times
- Reading for Mon: Chapters 1 & 2 in Ware
- Lecture slides: 04-Perception
- Popout demo / Perception in Visualization by Christopher Healey
- Reading for Wed: Chapters 3 & 4 in Ware
Wed, Feb 11: Patterns & Luminance Contours & Textures. Spatial Layout. Luminance Processing.
- Lecture slides: 05-PatternProcessing
- The Eyballing Game
- Slides for Friday’s section are on the downloads page.
- Reading for Wed:
- Brewer, C. A. 1999. Color Use Guidelines for Data Representation, Proceedings of the Section on Statistical Graphics, American Statistical Association, Alexandria VA. pp. 55-60. [link]
- Rogowitz, B. E., Treinish, L. A., and Bryson, S. 1996. How not to lie with visualization. Comput. Phys. 10, 3 (Jun. 1996), 268-273. [link]
Mon, Feb 16: No class - Presidents' Day
Wed, Feb 18: Color Color Processing. Color Spaces. Color Design.
- Lecture slides: 06-Color
- The von Bezold Spreading Effect (aka The Paint Chip Problem)
- Color Brewer
- Reading for Mon: Chapters 5 & 6 in Ware
- Lecture slides: 07-Cognition
- Interactive Perception Course by Tutis Vilis
- Web site of Aude Oliva, MIT
- Reading for Wed: Chapters 7 & 8 in Ware
Wed, Feb 25: Interaction Principles Dynamic Queries. Brushing & Linking. Overview & Detail. Focus & Context. Animation. 3D Displays. Off-The-Desktop Interaction.
- Lecture slides: 08-Interaction
- Reading for Mon: Chapter 9 in Ware
Mon, Mar 02: No class - Midterm Exam
Wed, Mar 4: Tableau Guest Lecture (Jock Mackinlay, Tableau Software) Introduction to Tableau.
Mon, Mar 09: Graphs & Charts Visual Attributes. Quantitative and Ordinal Data. Percentage and Proportion Data. Cumulative Totals. Distributions and Correlations.
- Lecture slides: 11-Graphs&Charts
- New York Times interactive salary comparison
- JPL Climate Time Machine
Wed, Mar 11: Maps Historical Maps. Map Projections. Cartograms. Thematic Maps. Bubble Maps. Flow Maps. Route Maps. Real-Time Maps. Points of View.
- Lecture slides: 12-Maps
- Map Projection Reference
- Map Projections
- My (Google) Maps
- Map Mashups at Programmable Web
- Google Maps Mania
- Good Article on Map APIs
- Modest Map API
- Open Street Map
- Cartogram software by Mark Newman
- World Mapper
- Strange Maps
- Video about the London Underground Map
Mon, Mar 16: Google Earth Introduction to kml. Google Earth Mashups.
- Lecture slides: 12-Maps
- Mashup Visualization with Google Earth
- Mapping with Google Spreadsheets
- Converting CVS files to KML
Wed, Mar 18: Trees & Networks (Frank Van Ham, IBM) Definitions. Visualizing Trees. Visualizing Networks.
- Lecture slides: 14-TreesAndNetworks
Mon, Mar 23: No Class - Spring Vacation
Wed, Mar 25: No Class - Spring Vacation
Mon, Mar 30: Multi-Dimensional Data Dimensionality Reduction. PCA.
- Lecture slides: 15-MultiDimensional
- PCA Matlab code by Kalyan (.txt)
- A tutorial on Principal Components Analysis, Lindsay I Smith (PDF)
- MusicBox demo
Wed, Apr 01: Images & Video Connectome. Factored Time-Lapse Video. Internet Photo Collections.
Mon, Apr 06: Medical Visualization (Markus Hadwiger, VRVis Vienna)
- Lecture slides: 17-MedicalVis
Wed, Apr 08: Scientific Visualization (Miriah Meyer, Harvard)
- Lecture slides: 18-SciVis
Mon, Apr 13: Social Visualization (Fernanda Viegas and Martin Wattenberg, IBM)
- Lecture slides: 19-SocialVis
Wed, Apr 15: Visualization in Biology (Bang Wong, Broad Institute, and Janet Iwasa, HMS)
Mon, Apr 20: Scientists’ Discovery Room (Matthew Tobiasz)
Wed, Apr 22: Wrap Up & Outlook Final Lecture.
- Lecture slides: 21-Outlook
Mon, Apr 27: Project Feedback Week
Wed, Apr 29: Project Feedback Week
Mon, May 04: No Class - Reading Period
Wed, May 06: No Class - Reading Period
Mon, May 11: No Class - Reading Period
Wed, May 13: No Class - Reading Period
Fri, May 15: Final Projects due
Mon, May 18: Final Project Presentations
Wed, May 20: Final Project Presentations